Friday 27 August 2010

Graduation

So, here it is. The final day of the diploma course August 2010. I was quite sad today. No more legitimate excuses to overindulge. Now it's just pigging out and feeling guilty about it. Day 20 has come around so quickly. It seems like just yesterday, we were starting out, with Darrin introducing us to what's coming up. The final menu consisted of making sushi in the morning, the 45 minute exam after lunch, certificate presentation, then photographs and farewells. Joe and Phil were with us for the last day.

The first order of the day was for Joe to show us how to make sushi. It's a common mistake that people make to think that the word sushi means raw fish. Sushi is actually the name of the rice used. Sashimi is raw fish. We used salmon and loin of tuna. Tuna fish swim with dolphins because their main predator is sharks, who are scared of dolphins, so the dolphins act as kind of bodyguards for the tuna. The reason you often see 'dolphin friendly' on tuna cans is because some tuna is caught by using nets, which catch the dolphins too. Then the fishermen often sell the dolphin meat on the black market. We used grade A tuna which cost £60! The higher the grade in tuna, the tighter the flesh fibres are knitted together. You should use grade A when making sashimi as otherwise when you cut the tuna, it will just fall apart and be no good for your meal.

We made a textured egg pancake, which was just made of egg yolks, but really thin layers which were then rolled over and over each other. It was used in our sashimi making and can be used for vegetarian sushi as all of the layers imitate the layers of fish and also give you protein. Cooking sushi rice is an art in itself. You have to let it gently simmer for 13 minutes precisely once boiled and then take it off the heat to steam for 10 minutes, leaving the lid on at all times. Then spread it out on a tray to cool it down immediately, to stop bacteria growing on it and making you ill. Phew!

After Joe showed us what to do, we were let loose to play. Sushi making is really fun and once you get going, you can whip them up rather speedily. We made maki which uses tuna, cucumber, egg pancake and red pepper, Californian rolls which use salmon and avocado strips, and nigiri which are sushi rice balls/ovals which are tied together with nori (strips of dried seaweed 'paper'). You can put wasabi in the rolls if you wish, but I didn't want to as it's so strong and really hits your sinuses hard. I had a tiny bit on a bit of raw tuna which Phil gave me and boy, was it hot!!! After lunch, Jonny had a large pea sized amount of wasabi. Big mistake!! He went bright red and was coughing and didn't look good! Evil stuff, wasabi.





















We also made a teriyaki marinade for the rabbit loins that we had taken off Bugs Bunny previously in the course. We pan fried the loins on skewers and then reduced some extra marinade to go yummy and sticky. So then it was time for the final lunch.

Maki, Californian rolls, nigiri, a teriyaki rabbit skewer, soy sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi

I didn't eat the wasabi- I put it on the plate just for decoration. That much wasabi would blow my head off! Did you know that the Japanese eat pickled ginger in between different flavours to act as a palate cleanser? I really enjoyed the sushi and sashimi. I've only had sushi once before and can't really remember it, but I've decided that I do like it. Delightful. The rabbit teriyaki skewer was absolutely delicious too. I love teriyaki anything. Yum yum yum! Whilst we were eating, Joe and Phil were outside the dining room- it kind of looked like we were exhibits at a zoo and they were visiting us!

After lunch, it was exam time! I had revised a bit the night before and had read my theory notes as I got them as a bit of bedtime reading, so I thought I'd do alright. It wasn't too bad actually and I got 85 out of 100! Joe said that anything over 76 was first class. Woohoo!! I wasn't bottom of the class and I wasn't top. Margaret got 90.5. Well done MGT! Then we had our certificates presented to us, along with a snazzy apron and it was time to say goodbye and go home.

So, that's it. 20 days of intense cookery knowledge and experience. Completely worth the money and time and I'm so glad that I did it. Diploma: done. Now what?!!

I'd like to thank everyone taking the time to read my blog and hope you've enjoyed it. I've definitely enjoyed rambling on about this nut and that scone. Just the way I am! I'm going to keep this blog going, updating it with different things I make (but only if it's photo-worthy!) But probably not everyday. My everyday life isn't as exciting as it has been for the past month! Maybe a weekly blog. And I'll update about anything cookery related that I do, for example, hopefully my journey of cracking into the culinary world professionally!

Here's to the diploma course of August 2010. It's been a fantastic month!

No comments:

Post a Comment