Wednesday 4 August 2010

My mind feels like a sponge.

It's only day 3, but I feel that I've learnt so much already. Now, before I embarked upon this course, I thought I knew a fair bit about the culinary world and had a few tricks up my sleeve, but after just 3 days, I realise that I know nothing! So, to continue my education, today brought more knife skills practice, pear poaching, delicious boulangere potatoes, vanilla crème brulee (ready to scoff on Friday), mint sauce, proper cauliflower cheese, lamb breasts and olive, mozzarella and rosemary stuffing that we made yesterday in preparation. Gosh!
After a pop quiz on everything lamb-related, even naming the different cuts of lamb (I had no idea, apart from shin, shoulder and leg), Stuart showed us how to make a perfect English crème brulee in a water bath and my new partner, James and I made, as Stuart said, ‘a perfect custard to start our new partnership with’. It was a honey custard to be turned into an ice cream for pudding later. Mmmm.

Then we were let loose on a breast of lamb. I removed the ribs and cartilage, trimmed it and then took off most of the fat, leaving a little for flavour. It was then rolled around the stuffing, tied up with string and after lunch, it faced the oven to braise for a few hours, after being lightly sealed. Lunchtime came around and we completed our leek and potato soup with some chives, double cream and creativity with a cocktail stick. It was so tasty. Definitely one to make again.

After lunch, and a coffee and chocolate button break (thank you!) we prepared the pudding of honey ice cream with poached pears, poached in red wine, brandy and spices, which made the kitchen smell like Christmas. Then it was on to the great task of supper. Stuart revealed the secret to great cauliflower cheese and glazed green beans. I’m now armed with the recipe for a fantastic cheese sauce. (Davey T, you’ll be glad to hear that there’s a bit of mustard in it!) Here’s another fact for you: to keep cauliflower nice and white and look better than when they were raw, put some lemon pieces into the water. Another fact for you, if it grows underground, put it into cold water and bring to the boil. If it grows above the ground, put it into boiling, salted water. Apart from Jersey Royals, which disobey this rule and need boiling, salted water. Collectively, we put together some Boulangere potatoes which were oh so delicious!

All of the recipes we’ve done so far would be great for dinner parties as you can prepare ahead and finish cooking, just at the last minute, so you can maximise your time with your guests and be sociable. Something some Come Dine With Me contestants need to learn!

Here’s my supper. A rather rich, Wintery dish, but still fantastic any time of year:

Braised stuffed breast of lamb with a reduced lamb jus (the best bit for me), boulangere potatoes, cauliflower cheese, fresh mint sauce and glazed green beans.

Pudding followed: Lightly spiced poached red wine pears with honey ice cream. Plus a mint leaf to garnish.

The pudding was really tasty. I wouldn't normally order poached pear for pudding in a restaurant, but this might have just changed my mind. Tomorrow, we’re playing with pork, including making sausages. I'm really enjoying learning new techniques, tricks, general information and the science behind it all. It's so interesting! The staff are all so helpful and you can be sure that there's always someone who can answer your questions. I'll be back tomorrow with some more fun facts. Be prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment